Severn Trent Water Build Over Agreement

Severn Trent Water says anyone wishing to build above or within three metres of a public sewer must have written permission before starting work. For work in Birmingham and the West Midlands, Staffordshire, Shropshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire, please email The situation of many of the most important public sewers that were laid after 1937 is known by Severn Trent Water. Warwick District Council has a number of maps which are freely available to anyone wishing to check if there is a sewer near their property. Just arrive at the reception of Riverside House and ask for the canal cards for your address. Unfortunately, the old sewers (laid before 1937) and the sewers set up in 2011 do not always know where they are going. Some of these ancient sewers are depicted on public canal maps, but many are not. This may be a problem with the extension, as sewers may only be located during construction work. If a public sewer is discovered during the work, an application must be made to Severn Trent Water if you are building above or within 3 metres.

For all construction requests regarding new construction or extensions, we review the channel maps during the processing of the application. If we find a sewer nearby, we will inform you as much as possible. You may not beable to see them, but our sewers should be kept in mind if you are building on them or near them. Construction work can often affect our sewers and, in turn, affect the service we offer you. That`s why you need our permission before you start construction, so we can protect them for future generations. Previously, landowners were responsible for sewer lines that flow into public sewers to the point of being connected to those sewers. In some cases, these were pipes exceeding their land limit. People were often unaware that they were responsible for the repairs and ongoing maintenance of those sewers or pipes until a problem arose and they were affected by a potentially high bill. The new regime allows for more efficient maintenance of assets, reduces neighbourhood disputes over repair costs and allows for a better approach to sewerage network management.

All companies in the water sector have legal rights to access public sewers located on private land. These include sewers located below or near a property. If permission to construct a sewer has been granted, Severn Trent will still attempt to reach the sewage drainage channel without disturbing the land. If this is unavoidable, they will repair all damage caused within the limit of what is reasonable. If a sewer has been constructed without authorization, Severn Trent has the right to access the sewers and protect it by any means it deems appropriate. In extreme circumstances, this may involve all buildings that relate to a public sewer being modified or removed at the owner`s expense. All sewers outside the boundaries of the land and all sewers shared with another property located within the boundary of the land are the property of the sanitation/water companies. For the district of Stratford-on-Avon, it is either Severn Trent Water or Thames Water.

© 2007-2012 Building Owners and Managers Association of California (BOMA Cal)